As we got down to the wire before our BIG Book Sale was to begin, there were virtually no volunteers to move books from our warehouse to the fairgrounds for the sale. The organizations and people that have helped in the past had been contacted, but no firm offers of help. Then the most wonderful thing happened that affirmed our faith in this wonderful community.
Another email to our membership, a plea in local newspapers, and the responses started flooding in! Within days, we had so many offers of help that we were afraid we couldn’t use everyone! Not only were the books moved in record time, but they were laid out on the tables and ready for the sale a day early!
We have never had such a wonderful response to pleas for help! And because of the superb help, and numerous and generous customers, we were able to raise over $22,000 to support the activities of the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library branches!
We want to specifically thank the following:
- UPS Store # 5088
- David McRae and the Oregon State University Army ROTC
- Youth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Individuals from Navy and Air Force ROTCs
- Benton County Fairgrounds personnel
- St. Vincent de Paul of Lane County
- Gazette-Times and Democrat Herald newspapers
- Larry Harris who created and made end pieces that clamped on the tables to keep large books from falling on the floor. They were ingenious and worked so well!
- And the many Friends of the Library members and community members who responded to our calls for help!