Our BIG Book Sale is over for 2016 and we again welcome your donations.
Thank you for your interest in making donations to the Friends of the Corvallis Benton County Public Library.
Your donations of books and media help us raise money to fund library programs. Donated materials are sorted and sold at our book sales. Our book sales serve two purposes: they provide us with revenue, and they provide a wonderful way to “recycle” your books into the hands of other readers. You can obtain a receipt at the drop-off location, or at the library’s main circulation desk.
To donate books, take them:
- Alsea: to the circulation desk.
- Corvallis: to the landing at the bottom of the stairs off the parking garage during open hours.
- Monroe: to the circulation desk.
- Philomath: to the circulation desk.
Space in the Sorting Room is very limited so if you have a large donation with multiple boxes, please call 541-766-6928.
Book Donation Guidelines
- Hardcover and paperback books in good condition.
- Commercially published media such as CDs, DVDs, and audio books.
We do not accept the following materials:
- Damaged books with broken bindings, missing pages, soiled, musty, moldy, with smoke or water damage, or with excessive writing or underlining in the text
- Clearly outdated materials (see below for guidelines)
- Toys, games, puzzles, artwork
- Condensed books (Reader’s Digest)
- Professional journals
- Non-commercially produced media
- Workbooks or study guides that are partially or wholly filled in
- Computer programs
We accept certain materials within specified limits:
- Price guides and almanacs (current only)
- Medical and financial advice books (less than 5 years old)
- Travel guidebooks (less than 5 years old)
- Computer manuals (less than 5 years old)
- Textbooks (less than 10 years old)
- Test preparation guides (less than 5 years old)
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can I claim as a charitable donation?
- We do not determine the value of the donation. Receipts can be provided designating how many paperbacks and hardbacks were donated.
What happens to the items I donate?
- Books are sorted depending on the quality and condition of the donated items. Books of value will be sold online through our online book store, Benton Books. Most books will be sold in the Big Book Sale in February, or our smaller sales such as the Fall Festival Paperback Sale, or the Holiday Sale. In our $.50 rooms/shelves at each of our branch libraries, we also sell books that are duplicates, and more heavily used books.